Sunday, March 4, 2012

GRAPEFRUIT


Psalm 107:9 "For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."


I am a pretty healthy eater (Thanks, momma!) but have always hated grapefruit and it's bitter undertone. I recently discovered a supersweet variety that is arguably the best fruit I have ever inhaled. (Yes, inhaled.) As I was savoring each juicy morsel during my lunch break, I was curious about the health benefits of grapefruit and the history of it as well. In doing some light research over lunch, I discovered that grapefruit earned its name because it grows in clusters in trees similar to actual grapes. In my curiosity, I wanted to see what this looked like, so I did an image search from there. When I saw this picture of a grapefruit tree, I was struck with awe and wonder.

What a might God we serve! I know I'm odd to be so stricken by a photo of a common, everyday fruit. But seeing the photo of the clusters of grapefruit hanging from the trees incited in my heart such awe and wonder for my God. How deep is His love for us, How vast beyond all measure! To think, that in God's plan for our lives, (had sin not entered the equation and ruined everything), then as we hungered through our days, we could just leisurely reach just above our heads and be filled with delicious, satisfying foods that would make us healthy, strong, and happy. If God cares that much to give us such delights to simply fill our bellies, how much more does He care to delight our hearts and souls? And even more, scripture ensures us that will not simply fill us with stuff, but with good stuff!

I simply had to take a moment and offer praise to my Savior for the beauty He creates in my life. I am so thankful that the Lord is teaching me, over and over again, to have eyes open to seeing His providence in my life. All the times I wondered, doubted, refused to believe and struggled to make things come together on my own were totally in vain. He has been there, ALL along, providing for my every need. I was just too blind to see all the wonderful ways he was (and is, and will) take care of me.

My God is so good. You've just GOT to get to know Him if you don't already. I promise- you will not regret it.

Lord, thank you so much for your constant provision over my every need. Thank you that you not only fill my emptiness, but you fill me with satisfaction with things that are good. Teach me to continually trust you as you lead me along your paths, that I might reach up along the way and be filled with your provision. You are so good to me, Jesus. Keep my heart fresh with the joy of that truth.

Psalm 103:1-5 " Praise the LORD, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the LORD, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. "


Deuteronomy 6:10-11 " When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied."

No comments:

Post a Comment