Thursday, July 16, 2009

AREN'T WE ALL PRODIGALS?

Today's Read: Luke 15



In this chapter of Luke, there are three short stories that share the same theme. In each story, something very valuable is lost and then eventually recovered. In the first story, there is a shepherd who loses a sheep. In the second story, a woman who has ten coins loses one of them. And the final story is of the prodigal son. These three stories not only share the aspect of something being lost and then found again, they also all tell of the considerable joy of the finder. It is one thing for something misplaced or forgotten to be merely stumbled upon again at a later time. But for the finder to have complete joy in the finding reveals the true value of what had been lost.

It is easy to think of the story of the prodigal and think that he represents someone other than yourself. It is easy to think 'Well, I have not squandered my inheritance. Nor have I lived a life of utter sinful rebellion as he did, so surely, the prodigal is not me.' When I read this this story again tonight though, I realized that I actually am the prodigal son, the lost son. When I first accepted Jesus Christ as my savior was when I was given my inheritance of grace. And for many years after that that I have chosen to walk with one foot in His kingdom and one foot in mine; I have been a glutton for His grace. I have selfishly and foolishly leeched out so much of his graciousness toward me without responding in an appropriate, thankfully respectful manner. Basically, he paid me for doing no work. He gave me an unbelievable inheritance that I indulged on without ever acting like I was his son, who might have been worthy of an inheritance. So yes, I am the prodigal son. Until we are walking in complete submission to His glory and holiness, we are all prodigal sons.

Since I have chosen to return to my father with the same cry of the prodigal "'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son." (v. 21) I have been so very humbled by His warm welcome of my coming home. I have recently been in the midst of difficult circumstances that have been painful to wade through, yet in the midst of my sorrow, I have had a sense of joy. I couldn't quite understand why I had the joy until I remembered the joy of the finder in each of these three stories. He is so full of rejoicing, joyfulness, gladness and celebration over my return to Him that His joy flows over into my heart.

Gracious Father, you are so good. I am not worthy of the celebration that you prepare at my homecoming. But, I will worship you for your generous gift of grace, my inheritance.

Job 8:21 "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment