Wednesday, February 3, 2010

CARDBOARD TESTIMONIES

Today's Read: 1 Peter 2:9

For the christmas eve service at my church this year, rather than having the pastor engage in lengthy dialogue about the story of Jesus, he arranged to have the lives Jesus has touched and changed to speak for themselves. Each person that came on the stage spoke no words, but carried a cardboard sign with a message written on it. On the sign, was a scrawled phrase defining their life and who they were prior to living with Jesus. Without saying a word, they would turn their cards over and reveal a victorious message depicting who they are now because of Christ. It was a very simple but profoundly moving method to conveying the power of Christ's spirit in people's lives. (*See link below to view a video of the 'cardboard testimonies')

As a church body, we were challenged going forward into the new year to examine what we would write on our own cardboard testimonies. That is to say, what is the most profound difference in my life prior to walking with Jesus and since walking with Jesus. I thought a good bit about it and came up with a solid list of noticeable changes to be thankful for because of the Lord. Here are some of the things I jotted down as I thought:

Burdened by shame and guilt.....rest in the yoke of his peace
Lived as an enemy of the cross.....living as salt and light
Broken and lost....redeemed and treasured
Wandered aimlessly..... live with purpose
Hurt and broken hearted..... healed and whole

While all of the above listed things are beautiful and wonderful things he's worked in me, I felt like they could be best summed up in this statement:

"Before trusting Jesus, I constantly stumbled around in the darkness, now I walk in the freedom of his light."

I didn't know how dark my darkness was until he shined his light on me. It was like I was living life constantly bumping into things and hurting myself as a result. I was confused, misguided and lost. Because of his goodness, he has brought light to my heart. I don't have to stumble around in in my darkness. I have his light guiding me and leading me. And for once, I am at a loss for words to describe how truly wonderful and beautiful this is. I know who I am now because I know my maker. And there is such an unbelievable freedom in that.

Sweet Lord Jesus, you are so good to me. You have called me out darkness and into light. My every moment, every thought is now filled with your purpose and your peace. I have given you all my life and all that is within my heart because I know that you are enough for me. Thank you for your faithfulness and your goodness to me. I do love you. I am yours.

Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

1 Peter 2:9-10 "But you are a chosen people, a royal preisthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but have now received mercy."

Psalm 18:28 "My God turns my darkness into light...."

Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."




LINKS

Watermark Community Church cardboard testimonies (my home church in Dallas)
Video 1
Video 2

Austin Stone Community Church cardboard stories (a church I attended for a while in Austin just before I moved to Dallas several years ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment