Friday, February 5, 2010

HE IS OUR REFUGE


Read: Mostly all over the Psalms

It feels as though I am 'stuck' in the Psalms. But, at this point in my life with the Lord, reading them daily is medicine for my soul. I am hungry for him and they fill me. So, maybe it's redundant to always be referencing them, but they show me the depths of his heart. And how could I ever tire of that?

I was recently inadvertently wounded by a friend. The sting of this has made me feel very vulnerable and caused me to take a good hard look at myself. In my hurt, I want to withdraw and hole up inside myself as a mechanism of self protection. But I recognize that this is an expression of a lack of faith on my part. My instinct to protect myself reveals about me that I forget that I already have a protector. His name is the Lord Jesus.

While in the thick of this temptation to protect myself, the Lord was faithful to speak to me yet again that HE is all I need. He has promised to be my protection, my shield, my place of refuge. Not necessarily physically, but most certainly in matters of the heart.

I came across this picture and couldn't help but see my Father in the photo. He is the creator of ALL things. He created the things we can see and the things that we cannot. ( Colossians 1:16, Revelation 4:11) He knows what all living things need to be able to function healthily. From this photo, I was reminded that not only did he create these elegant birds, but he created their instinct to protect their young. And, to do it in such a fascinating and delicate way. If he knows that these simple creatures need this tender covering of protection, how much more does he know that I need it too? And, how infinitely capable is he of providing me the protection that I need? Seeing the image of the gentle protection he offers me gave me a lot of peace and rest. I don't need to struggle to protect myself. I need only to crawl under the covering of his wings and rest in his powerful ability (and desire) to be my refuge. This picture was particularly striking to me because of the many references scripture makes to finding shelter under His 'wings'. See below verses:
Ps. 17:8 "Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings."

Ps. 36:7 "How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings."

Ps. 61:4 "I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings."

Ps. 91:4 "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."

Matt. 23:37 "how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings"

He is more than capable of being my protection and a place where I can rest from the storms of this life. Even the storms of my own heart. I just need to let him be my refuge.

Lord, thank you so much that you know I need your protection and your covering before I even recognize that I need it. Thank you for being ready and willing to be my refuge and my place of of rest. You are enough for me. I don't need to fight for myself or try to zealously protect my heart. You are my protector. Thank you for teaching me to rest in that.

Psalm 32:7 "You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance."

Psalm 5:11 "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you."

Psalm 73:28 "But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."

Proverbs 30:5 ""Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

***As I studied, I realized that there are countless references to God being our 'refuge' in the bible. I have included a link to a search on the word 'refuge' on www.biblegateway.com. It is very encouraging to just read through all 95 of them quickly. I encourage you to take a look here.

No comments:

Post a Comment