Wednesday, April 7, 2010

STRUGGLING TO HAVE FAITH

Walking daily in faith with the Lord means that I will endure the ups and downs of life. I will endure the ups and downs of relationship with him. Mind you, the ‘downs’ are only a result of my inadequate responses to circumstances in this life. The ‘downs’ don’t reflect his shortcomings but my lack of faith. In those down times, when I am tempted to rely on myself or question the Lord or simply not believe that He will be good to me, I have a choice. I can either continue to stall in faithlessness or I can rest in being reminded of the truth in his promises.

In the slow times of my journey of faith, I am soothed and encouraged by reading the compilation of scriptures below. The Lord has promised over and over again to be enough for me. To be good to me. To be faithful. When I doubt, I trace back over the etchings of his words into my heart. It is impossible for God to lie (Hebrews 6:18), and with that being true, these words from him calm the storms of uncertainty in my heart.

I hope they bring you the same peace that they give me. My God is a god of peace. (Ephesians 2:14)


I exalt you and praise your name, for you in perfect faithfulness, have done marvelous things, things planned long ago. You are the God who performs miracles. I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. They do not know the thoughts of the Lord, they do not understand His plan. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever---do not abandon the works of your hand. And after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. [God] acts on behalf of those who wait for him. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished. Wait on the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert, streams in the wasteland. He who began a good work in you will be faithful to carry it to completion.


Whom have I in heaven but you, and earth has nothing I desire besides you. My heart and my flesh may fail, but you are my portion and the strength of my heart forever. One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving. I am my beloveds and my beloved is mine. He rescued me because he delighted in me.


Scripture References: Isaiah 25:1, Psalm 77:14, Job 42:2, Micah 4:12, Psalm 138:8, Hebrews 6:15, 2 Peter 3:9, Isaiah 64:4, Luke 1:45, Psalm 27:14, Isaiah 43:18, 2 Corinthians 4:18, Philippians 1:6

Psalm 73:25-26, Psalm 62:11, Song of Songs 6:3, 2 Samuel 22:20

No comments:

Post a Comment