Tuesday, August 4, 2009

THE FATHER OF ROMANCE

Tonight's Read: Song of Songs

"The problem with a living sacrifice is that it has a tendency to constantly crawl off the altar."
- Unknown (Unfortunately, I couldn't find the author of that quote)

There is no denying that if you want to be a follower of Christ, that you will have to give things up in order to really pursue Him. We must daily offer our sacrifices to Him, continually putting them on the altar of His grace. For me, right now especially, I am laying at the altar the control I wish to have over my dating/romantic life. I have tried to date my own way and I give up on it. I have decided to follow His ways and His standards, especially in the arena of dating. I have surrendered to His standard of holiness and eagerly look forward to the next relationship that He will bless me with, because I know that it will be done right---it will be done His way. I have a lot of peace in knowing that.

However, I have allowed the devil to creep near to me and whisper lies into my heart about this subject. The fears I have been battling the last few days have been about forfeiting romance. I am submitted to the Lord in that I trust Him to provide for me, emotionally. However, I would be lying if I said I didn't feel somewhat sorrowful over the idea that I must exchange romance for holiness. But, in my desire for obedience, my heart is saying 'Lord, I hate that I may not ever have romance again, but I will do things your way anyway."

I am not a fairy tale kind of girl. I don't expect poems and roses and butterflies like in some cheesy chick flick. But, regardless, the desire for genuine romance was woven into my heart during its formation in the womb. I'm a woman---- that's who we are. Where my lack of faith comes into play is where I believed this lie that I must say goodbye to romance. The enemy, the father of lies, is chanting this into my heart. And it is simply not true. As I battled with this concern today, I decided to read Song of Songs again. It offered me so much encouragement when I read it last, that I thought I needed to revisit this love letter from the Lord.

Reading this book again, I found so much comfort on two levels. For one, I was reminded of the Lord's great love for me. No matter what I was struggling with, it is soothing to my heart to be reminded that he finds me 'beautiful' (v. 1:15) and 'flawless' (4:7). That 'His banner over me is love' (2:4) and that I have 'stolen His heart' (4:9). To be the object of that kind of affection is a beautiful and wonderful thing.

Reading Song of Songs for this second time though, I realized that I need not worry about having the opportunity to be fulfilled romantically. The bible is FULL of things God created, both tangible and intangible. He created man and woman (tangible) and he also created the concepts of marriage and family (intangible). I realized tonight that He is also the father and creator of romance! Read like an allegory, Song of Songs actually is a love letter from God to me. But read literally, Song of Songs is one of the most beautiful stories of romance ever written. The magnitude of these lovers' passion rivals that of the greatest stories written by Shakespeare, Browning and the like. How could I doubt that this God, who loves me and created romance, ask me to forsake ever experiencing it?

Reading tonight felt like God's shouts of reassurance and encouragement over the enemy's whispers of lies. I serve such a gracious, tender, merciful and loving God. How lucky am I that He is mine---my King!

So, I will rise again tomorrow morning and place this back on the altar, even though I know at some point the whispers of the devil will call to my sacrifice to crawl back down off the altar. Lucky for me, my God is patient and forgiving, and will allow me to return, yet again, with my living sacrifice. And by His grace, I will come.

Lord, you are so beautiful. I will trust you to be enough for me. Your word tells me that I have stolen your heart. I will cling to that truth and find my joy and identity in knowing that I am loved by the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment