Thursday, August 27, 2009

JUST ONE OF THE ISRAELITES

Read: Old Testament History (Genesis to Esther-ish)

I was studying yesterday the history of the old testament and the Hebrew people. I am familiar with the history, but reading it all in one sitting brought some new truth into light for me.** For the Israelites, God promised a homeland for them. Not because they earned it, but because He loves them and because HE is good. Regardless of what they did, they would see the promised land. BUT, when they arrived, they found every excuse in the world for why they could not actually take what He had prepared and saved for them. As a result of their rejection, they got their 40 years of aimless wandering. The Lord didn't revoke His promise or take away His blessing, but, He did make them wander as a result of their rebellion. He told them what to do and where to go in order to receive their promise and they said "'nah, that's too hard, we don't want to fight for our land, we'll just settle here." Quite frankly, it ticked God off. However, He STILL gave them their promise, they just had to wait and wait and wait for it.

Reading this felt like a huge thump on my forehead from God. I feel like He has promised me a husband and a future with a family. I believe once He promises that, He will make good on His promise. But, I am still subject to doing what He says and as He leads. Because I haven't been 100% completely and wholly submitted to Him in all areas of my life in the past--- really up until right now--I see this as rebellion.

I couldn't help but see a parallel between the Israelites and myself in this area. They were promised a home, I feel like I have been promised a home (a husband and family). They were instructed to work/fight for their land that was being occupied by other people at the time they arrived. I was instructed to work/fight by going against the grain of cultural standards and pursuing romantic relationships that are God honoring. It's not easy to do this, and for me, it was like the Israelites saying "nah, that's too hard, we don't want to fight for our land, we'll just settle here". And just as the Israelites wandered, I feel like I have been made to wander as a result of my refusal to do as He leads.

I can't say that this is the reason for extended singleness for everyone. There are many fully devoted and submitted christians who aren't blessed with a mate until they have waited for a VERY long time. However, I couldn't help but wonder if this was God speaking to me about my specific case and even possibly, the general case of our generation.

**I must throw in a quick recommendation here. I studied the structure of the bible and the History of the old testament using the book Understanding the Bible in 30 Days by Max Anders. The book covers the entire bible: history, structure, geography, themes, theology..... you name it. I won't go into too many details. However, I urge anyone, new believer or lifelong christian to read/study this book. It is AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment