Tuesday, August 4, 2009

MY STORY PART II

Reading: Luke 14:25-34 and 1 Timothy 1 and 4


The first part of my story ended with my question of why I hesitated going all in for the Lord, even though I knew, in the depths of my heart, who He is. After a lot of prayer and studying of His word, I believe I understand much of the issue now. In Luke 14, Jesus himself warns us that it will not be easy to follow Him. In fact, He warns us to 'count the cost' of following Him. What I take from this passage is that I might as well not head down this road (of following Jesus) if I will only have to give up and return because I'm not willing to do/be/say/go as Jesus leads. I realize now, that for all my years of teetering on the fence that divided my will from His, I wavered because I was 'counting the cost'. I never could decide if I was willing to forsake everything in exchange for Jesus. Well, I guess my indecision was, in fact, a decision. My choice was 'no'. I wasn't willing to pay the cost.

I have found that the Lord is so very patient and gracious. He waited on me all these years to 'count the cost' of following Him in my life. Since I have finally come to a place that I have decided that nothing in this world is worth more than my Jesus, He has welcomed me with loving, open arms.

So, now I must live this love relationship out. And in doing so, I must be prepared to share my story with people who don't know the fullness of His love and grace. To do so, I have pulled some verses that I feel sums up the heart of my walk at this point in my life. In a nutshell, here is my story.

FOR WHO I LIVE AND WHY:
1 Timothy 1:15-16 "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners---of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life."

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR ME:
1 Timothy 4:9-10 "This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance (and for this we strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe."

WHAT TO DO NOW:
1 Timothy 4:12 "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

WHAT I STRIVE FOR:
1 Timothy 4:15-16 " Be diligent in these matters, give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and your doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, will save both yourself and your hearers."

So basically, it is four, or really three, very simple things that sums up my heart right now:

1. Jesus Christ loves and saves me with His unbelievable grace.
2. I will put my trust and hope in Him.
3. I will be diligent to live by His standards so that others can see the power of His grace and also come to know and live under it.

**It is so very important to note here that the 'living by His standards' part comes after the 'accepting His grace' part. I cannot be good enough for Him. I am not working to live by His way to earn His approval, but because I love Him and want to honor Him. His saving grace is already mine. Hallelujah for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment